Feature Article

May 10, 2012

NewNet Relaunches Company with WiMAX Focus at CTIA Wireless 2012

While NewNet is certainly not new in the WiMAX market by any means, the company has decided to utilize this year’s CTIA Wireless event in New Orleans, LA as the platform to relaunch the company in a new light.

PJ Louis, CEO of NewNet, sat down with MobilityTechzone at the show to introduce our team to Scott Morrison, EVP and president of the company’s Broadband Wireless business unit, and Ang Ledford, EVP of the Telecom Application business unit, - two very important sectors of NewNet’s current focus and where it is taking its products in the near future. 

When the company began 20 years ago, its primary focus was on SS7 protocol stacks. Four years ago, the company moved further into message and data solutions after being purchased by Skyview Capital, a private equity firm that has helped to fund NewNet’s passion projects.

Today, NetNet’s model is built around two business units Broadband Wireless Systems and Telecom Applications, two segments that are imperative to providing businesses with a complete communications system. NewNet prides itself in serving rural and underserved markets in emerging markets with market focused divisions.

The company’s Broadband Wireless division targets four main markets including carriers and operators, public safety, transportation and smart utilities. For NewNet, WiMAX provides a large opportunity for the company to capitalize on with its CPE devices, RAN and Core infrastructure and Open Support RMA case.

Morrison told MobilityTechzone that as WiFi devices become more in demand for consumers, the price points of these products becomes critical for customers whose expectations have increased as well. When it comes down to it, it’s all about giving customers the choice to access these solutions easily and upgrade to services like 4G and LTE as seamlessly as possible.

In terms of transaction processing systems, 20 percent of the world’s transactions are actually going through NewNet’s platform. While it is still a small company that is flying under the radar, CEO PJ Louis hopes to gain a fraction of the other 80 percent of the market with the company’s two successful business units.

Louis added that the mobile market is actually driven by acquirers; therefore the other systems will not be scalable enough to handle billions of transactions.

The Telecom Appliance division on the other hand focuses on carriers, mobile networks, managed service providers (MSPs), telecom OEMS and hosted service providers just to name a few. With NewNet’s Telecom Applications unit, the company also targets acquirers, processors, banks and financial institutions.

Edited by Brooke Neuman

FOLLOW MobilityTechzone

Subscribe to MobilityTechzone eNews

MobilityTechzone eNews delivers the latest news impacting technology in the Wireless industry each week. Sign up to receive FREE breaking news today!
FREE eNewsletter